Saturday, June 13, 2015

The couple that DIY's together

We are currently in the midst of a deck remodel. It's been a long time coming. 8 years to be exact. It needed doing when we moved here but it was one of those things that got put on the back burner. A couple hap-hazard slung coats of paint here and there have just not cut it anymore, so time for major over haul. Anyway, it all got me to thinking.

I was doing all the sanding...hubster has asthma and the dust really gets to him. It made me realize that every project in this house whether it's been painting a room, cutting a new door way to join the kitchen and dining room, or just building a bench seating frame, it's all been done together. Every blood drop, tear drop and sweat drop ( and there have been several of each) have all been from a joint team effort. There is nothing I love more. While I was working with the sander, I couldn't see him but I knew he was there underneath working on the structure. Much as he's the structure of the family, the strong hold. While he added new support beams and repaired existing ones I worked above. Each complimenting the other with the work. I can't climb the ladders and do the repair work. Well, I could but I'd 1. fall and break something and 2. the repairs I made would probably end with the deck actually crashing down and us all breaking something. And of course the whole asthma and sanding thing don't exactly mesh well either. So, we each have tasks that get accomplished separate yet together working simultaneously like a well oiled machine. We've been doing these things together long enough we should know each other's quirks by now ;) Married 14 years, together 18.

I love that we can look back years from now at all the changes we've made here and associate memories with the projects. Usually at some point during the activities there's at least one fiasco, like today it was a run in with a guinea wasp nest. Of course that wasn't very funny to the one getting stung but it sounded like a herd of wildebeast fighting them off under there. Don't worry I helped him and ran for the Benadryl and some killing spray- for the wasp not the husband.

All these things just make my soul smile. I love him and I love our boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2011 Designs by Dana