Friday, February 11, 2011

I am Green

I am becoming green. No, I am not sick or jealous.....this time anyway ;).  I am a clean freak, though if you walked in my front door you may think I am lying. I clean every.single.day. but having said that, I also have a husband and 3 children who mess faster than I can clean. But not getting off on a tangent.  I used to use a gallon of bleach a week.  I am talking, walk in my house and burn your nose hairs off with the smell of bleach kind of thing. Well, I  began considering what inhaling those fumes were doing to my health and not to mention my children.  I know bleach is cheap but most other cleaning products can cost you a small fortune.  As you may or may not know, I am a stay at home mom.  Our money tree died before it began producing so cutting costs makes me smile.  So, on to the real point.  My best friend Alicia has always mentioned to me that she makes her own household cleaners.  I didn't really give it much thought, then I met Bonnie and saw her home made laundry soap recipe.  I fell in love with not only the cost (its .25 a gallon) but the way it works.  I also started using the laundry soap solution to mop my floors.  I use the borax and washing soda in the dishwasher.

My husband works in a garage so his clothes get pretty dirty as well as his skin.  The laundry soap gets out even the worst stains on his clothes.  I was wondering what I was going to do about cleaning the bathtub to get the grease off and genius Alicia told me to use Dawn dish soap with baking soda to scrub the bath tub.  It works absolutely amazing.  I also used that mixture to clean my kitchen sink and I have never seen it so shiny.

So now not only and I saving money I am also helping the environment and keeping my children from breathing harmful chemicals.  All these products work just as good if not even better than high priced and harmful cleaners.  I haven't bought bleach in over a month and I am quite proud of myself for quitting the bleach habit cold turkey.

4 comments:

  1. What is the ratio for the dawn & baking soda? Sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just sprinkle the baking soda in the bottom and then a swirl of dawn then add a little water until its pasty and scrub. if i had to put numbers id say 3tbs of dawn to 1/4c baking soda for the bathtub. I am horrible at measuring, even when cooking lol. I just put "some" of this and "some" of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. two thumbs up!! I'm gonna try the tub cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a used dryer sheet as my scrubber.

    ReplyDelete

 
© 2011 Designs by Dana