Thursday, May 26, 2011

Decorating Cents

So since I am a SAHM, I have to find ways to cut corners with my home decor.  Let's face it, I am frilly, girly, and what have you, because I am the only princess who inhabits this castle so decorating is kind of my m.o.  I also change my decor quite often so I have to keep costs down as much as possible.  I thought I'd share with you one of my most recent endeavors.  This is a sideboard in my dining room that I got from my husbands grandfather's house.

I bought two of these little birds at The Dollar Tree

 I then painted them with some white apple barrel craft paint I had on hand.  It took two coats to completely cover them.

 I really liked the flower designs on the sides of the birds so I decided to paint that design black.  I didn't have a small enough brush to get into the tiny cracks so I just colored over the dried white paint with a sharpie.  I got the dome at TJ Max for $12.  I had been looking for one for a light project.  I thought this one would work but was too small so I decided to put it on the sideboard in the dining room and then began the search for something to go underneath and that's when I found the birds.  I flipped a plate upside down for the base. I had some moss on hand so added that for an extra touch.  I am not really loving the plate as a base but will leave it for now until I find something that may work better.

 I already had the votives on the top and the blue glass vase.  Other than that, the sideboard was empty.  I also bought three candle sticks as well as three vases from the dollar tree.  I hot glued the candle sticks to the vases and made the hurricanes for $6 I got three of them which to me is a great bargain.  I also picked up the light blue stones at the dollar tree as well.  The candles in the back were a gift.
 I can't take full credit for these flower center pieces.  They were an idea from my best friend Alicia.  She had made some red ones for a teacher appreciation luncheon at her sons' school.  I also picked up the materials at the dollar tree.  The sticks are two candlesticks, $1 each, flipped and glued to one another.  I then took a half styrofoam floral circle and placed the roses around it and glued it to the top of the stick.  I used about 5  bunches of flowers a piece on the topiary.  So for $12 I have two centerpieces.  I have priced similar items and couldn't find them for less than $10 each.


Here is also a sneak peek at my current project.  I found this beauty at a garage sale for $5.00!!!!  I fell in love immediately.  Can't wait to show you the finished product once I give her a re-do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2011 Designs by Dana